Monday, January 15, 2007

Simplicity

I Run.

One of the shortest possible sentences in the English language (not the shortest, that's another blog though). However, this simple subject-predicate pairing has taken on a lot of personal meaning lately.

I've been a runner for many years. Once upon a time I was even fast and in good shape, and I dreamed of the New York Marathon.

After a long time of making excuses and avoiding it, I've started running again. The usual excuse, although I never articulated it, was that I was too busy and didn't have time.

Of course, the fact that I'm busy, stressed and don't have the personal time is probably the biggest reason that I need to run more than ever now.

Running isn't really a way of escaping my problems. It's more of a tool for dealing with them. Somewhere in the simple repetition of one foot in front of the other, I'm finding some sort of balance. I'm becoming more grounded in physical reality, which is giving me more mental clarity.

I'm having an in-body experience.

As I get in better shape, my mood and attitude are improving. As I gain better balance between my body and mind, I'm better prepared to seek balance in the rest of my life.

In motion I am finding strength and peace of mind.

The funny thing is, it's always been there, I just forgot about it.

So, with all the complicated sentences I sort through every day, the one that I'm finding more and more important is the simplest sentence in the English language. Good advice, short, easy and to the point.

Go.

No comments: